Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Recipe: Make Your Own Instant Oatmeal Packets


Do you love the convenience of those single serving instant oatmeal packets but are tired of the cost and not being able to control the ingredients? Well, I was so I came up with my own recipe. Now, I made a bunch so I wouldn't have to do it again very soon. You can cut it in half or even 4ths if you don't want so much. I buy my oats in bulk at my local health food store which makes it even cheaper.



Instant Oatmeal Mix
makes 36 servings of approx 1/3 cup or 45 g
9 cups quick oats
4 1/2 cups regular oats
4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp cinnamon
20 Tbsp inulin

Measure the regular oats into your blender or food processor bowl and grind into a powder. Add them to the other ingredients in a big bowl and mix well. If you get the 7 oz bag of Vivagave Inulin I reviewed earlier the entire bag is 20 Tbsp. so just dump the entire bag into the mix. The inulin adds 5 1/2 g of fiber and 5 1/2 g of carbs to each serving. You can store it in container(s) of your choice or pre-measure it into individual containers. Those small snack size Ziplocs would do nicely. When you are ready to make it, take one pre-measured packet or measure out a serving into a microwave safe bowl. Add sweetener to taste (I use stevia) and I also add lots more cinnamon because I like it! Stir well and then add 1/2 to 2/3 cup of water and stir again to combine. Microwave on high for 60 seconds, remove from microwave and stir well. Depending on your microwave, you may need another 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and add toppings of your choice. I like mine with 1/4 oz of walnut pieces (brings the carb value to 40 g per serving) or maybe a few blueberries and a touch of half and half. You can also add a small amount of wheat germ, flax seed, or maybe chia seeds, but it may put you into 3 servings of carbs ratings for the bowl of oatmeal. If you decide to not add the inulin, it will reduce both the fiber and carbs per serving by 5 1/2 g, as stated above, and then you have a little more room to add other toppings and still stay with in the 2 carb serving range. Wheat germ and flax seed should be stored cool so don't add them until you are ready to make. Also, I suppose you could use all quick oats (just grind 1/3 of total amount). I had regular oats, so I used them.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size 1/3 cup (45g)
servings per container About 36

Fat 1.6 g
Sodium 265 mg
Carbohydrates 39 g
Fiber 10 g
Protein 5 g
S/C : 0/2






No comments:

Post a Comment